This is the writing prop for Amy Soresen's writing challenge.
Christmas Writing Challenge #5: Traditional Gifts
Writing Prompt: What traditional gifts---things you received every year---did you get? Out of those traditional gifts, which individual one stands out the most in your memory?
Traditions give a personal shape to our holiday experiences. It seems like each family develops its own, unique spin on more universal traditions. Traditional gifts are important, I think, because they are a combination of knowledge (you know you're getting something from that category) and surprise (you don't know what specific thing it'll be). These are the gifts that, if they were missing, the holidays wouldn't feel right.
Growing up I didn't have any traditional gifts that I received from year to year. As I got older I would receive money each year from my grandparents. But I think this would be a nice tradition to start with my daughter. Now, I need to think of something that would be special to start with.
Now I am playing catch up with the first two writing challenges since I didn't have much to write about with this challenge.
Christmas Writing Challenge #1: Wished-for Photo
Writing Prompt: Write about a photo you wish someone had taken
I think that we have clearer memories of the experiences we have pictures of, because the pictures help us involve another sense (vision) with the memory. But I also think that the majority of people twenty or thirty years ago didn't think about taking pictures the way we do now (obviously, digital cameras have a huge impact on how many photos we take and what we photograph), so we don't have very many pictures to help jar our memories. Maybe this writing prompt will help you remember something you've forgotten. You might want to give some of the back story before you write about the wished-for photo, like I did here. Happy writing!
I wish I had more photos from my childhood in general. I am lucky that I have access to all the photos my grandparents took at different events. I really need to start scanning those but I don't have a working scanner at home.
I wish I had more photographs of me with my mom's mom. She died when I was 3 years old. She celebrated Christmas and would love to have a picture with her at Christmas time.
Christmas Writing Challenge #2: Most Vivid Memory
Writing Prompt: When you think of your childhood Christmases, what is the most vivid memory you have?
My friend is still scanning my photos, so today's another photo-less writing prompt (unless you have a photo to go along with your vivid memory; if so, lucky you!). I think the most vivid memories have two separate connections that keep them strong: a sensory connection and an emotional one. If that holds true for you, include those details in the telling.
My most vivid Christmas from my childhood would have to be when we visited my aunt and uncle in TX for Christmas. Again, I grew up in a Jewish household so this was my first Christmas that I remember. I was 5 years old at the time. I remembering being so upset that Santa left the presents when we out looking at Christmas lights. I received an itch and sketch and played with for hours. Especially in the car on the ride home.
Friday, December 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment