Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas Writing Challenge #4

Christmas Writing Challenge #4: (from Amy Sorensen's writing challenge)

December Activities
Writing prompt: What activities and experiences did you have during December that made it feel like Christmas to you?


We didn't celebrate Christmas at my house instead we celebrated Hanukkah. When I was younger there were not the decorations for Hanukkah as there are now. Every year and even to this day, my mom had these blue felt bags shaped like a dreidel that would be overflowing with gifts. Mom has since made a dreidel bag for all 5 grandchildren. It is always so nice to see those bags.

Every year we would have a family get together with the aunts, uncles and cousins. We would eat the traditional potato latkes that were full of grease until we made ourselves sick. My cousins and I would play the dreidel game and hope we would win all the gelt (usually we played for pennies.) But as we grew up and family members moved off our celebrations got smaller until the grandchildren started making appearances.

Occasionally, we would go to my aunt and cousin house to celebrate Christmas with them. It was such a fun time waking up on Christmas morning and opening gifts. I grew up in an area that the Jewish community was pretty small so most of my friends celebrated Christmas and I was always envious of all the activities that had.

Since my husband is not Jewish and we are not raising my daughter Jewish, we are developing our own traditions for Christmas. Now that Addie is getting older and can help..we have decorated her little purple tree that a friend gave her on her second Christmas. I know it is Christmas time when we have the annual Santa picture. The town we live in has a Christmas parade every year so we have been going the last couple of years. It is the first Monday in December. We have a get together before Christmas with my husband's aunts, uncles, and cousins. On Christmas Eve, my husbands immediate family goes to my in-laws for the traditional meal of Spaghetti and meatballs (yummy..I can taste them right now.) This year Addie made a ceramic christmas oranment for the tree at one the pottery places. So, I think that will be a new tradition for us each year.
Decorating the purple tree.
Painting Christmas oranments.

1 comment:

Amy Sorensen said...

Oh my gosh...your post made me remember the Santa parade we used to go to. I had totally forgotten that! That is one of the things I've been loving about this challenge, everyone else's memories have sparked some of my own. Thanks!